Lately, I’ve attended a number of recruitment events. Sadly, I wasn’t amazed by how many fantastic candidates, enthusiastic employers or amazing job vacancies there were. Instead, what struck me most was how unprepared many attendees were! Both the candidates and the employers.
As a candidate, recruitment events can be invaluable. A chance to get face to face with employers who have real jobs, and show them who you are. But are you ready to grasp that opportunity?
This is where the 6 Ps come in! As the saying goes, “Prior Planning Prevents P*** Poor Performance” and here that certainly applies! Don’t waste your time attending recruitment events until you are ready and can put your best foot forward through that door.
After all, you only get one chance to make a first impression.
If you follow these steps and are prepared to network your socks off, you’ll leave a lasting impression at your next recruitment event!
Be Prepared! As you approach a stand, an employer may ask you…
- What could you bring to our organisation?
- What motivates you?
- Where do you see yourself in 1, 3, 5 years time?
- We need someone who can XXX. Can you?
How would you respond?
Have some questions for them! This is a good way to demonstrate that you’re proactive and keen to know whether the company would be a good fit for you and your personality. Prepare questions such as:
- What are you looking for in a new employee?
- Are there training / development opportunities?
- Are you looking for skills or attitude?
- What is your policy on work-life balance?
Next, complete our essential job event check list:
- Get your Elevator Pitch right: Prepare a clear, concise pitch that you’ll be ready to present to potential employers. Remember, jobs fairs are essentially just networking events so prepare accordingly! Read more in our Career Ambitions Club (you can become a member for free!)
- Go armed with an up to date CV and LinkedIn Profile: It’s important to have a current CV on hand at jobs fairs. But don’t neglect to update your LinkedIn profile too! If an employer finds discrepancies, they’re unlikely to hire you. Follow our tips to optimise your LinkedIn profile.
- It’s not just your words that count! Your body language can give a lot away to a potential employer. Make sure that you are confident, open and make a good first impression. Read our guide to getting your body language right.
- Know what you want. There’s no point wasting time attending recruitment events for the sake of it. The key is to know yourself, your innate motivations and what makes you tick. That way you’ll find a career that suits you – so you don’t have to repeat the process! This is where the LAB Profile steps in.
Now, scroll back up and give that quiz another go… what’s your goal this time?
If you’ve followed all the steps in our guide, then you will be ready to impress those potential employers at your next recruitment event! Check out our events calendar to see what’s happening in the Cambridge area in the next few weeks. Good luck!
If you’d like to have an informal chat with Katherine about preparing for your next career move, email her or call her on 01223 633535.